Thread: Suikoden

ROFLs
    Rofled at 449 Times in 263 Posts

Suikoden

Most people aren't familiar with the Suikoden series, other than maybe knowing that Suikoden 2 goes for about $300 on Ebay. Though hard to find, the games are all solid RPGs.

Suikoden was one of the first RPGs for the Playstation, and it's a pretty good start to the amazing collection of RPGs the PSX had by the time it was abandoned in favor of the PS2. Suikoden isn't exactly groundbreaking, but it did have some innovative ideas.

First off, notice that you fight with six characters. SIX. How many other RPGs let you fight with 6 characters at the same time? I can't think of any. The battle system is interesting in that the characters are either short, medium, or long-rang fighters. Short range characters can only fight in the front, long range can do either but are much better in the back, and medium are able to fight in either position. Obviously short range fighters kind of suck, put them in the back row and they can't do anything.

The graphics are decent, though in some aspects older SNES games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3/6 have more detail. The music is ok, nothing bad but nothing really memorable either.

The story of the game is generic as hell, typical get some guys together, fight an evil empire, kill your father, etc that's been done 300 times before. Though in this game you can recruit 108 characters, which is a hell of a lot more than most other games. Some of these characters can do special things for you, like cook food or change your tampon to prevent toxic shock syndrome.

Overall this is a good game, but I wouldn't pay the $60+ asking price. It's only like 15 hours long, which is very short by RPG standards. I recommend pirating it if you can, it's worth playing but it's really become more of a collectors item. Score: 7.3/10 - Good
    Last edited by Evilbob; Jul. 5th 2010 at 5:09 PM.
    HE LISTENS TO THE FUCKING SMITHS
    HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE
    HE WEARS A TRENCHCOAT
    HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE
    HE WEARS BLACK TIGHTS
    HE WRITES POETRY
    HE WEARS BLACK LIPSTICK
    UNDER HIS MUSTACHE

HE'S GOT A ROLLERCOASTER HAIRCUT
    HE DYES IT JET BLACK
    BUT HIS HAIR IS REALLY BROWN
    JUST LIKE HIS MUSTACHE
    HE WANTS TO BE ROBERT SMITH
    BUT WITH A MUSTACHE
    HE'S A FUCKING ART FAG
    HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE

DL of PM
    ROFLs
    Rofled at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Suikoden

I loved the Suikoden series, theres just something about recruiting tonnes of actual characters to build up your army that I like, the first one was ok, the second one was great, and I was alright with the 4th one except that all the major battles were naval.
    Auto Enthusiast

Shaiya Online
    Conquer Online

Thread Information