Announcement

Collapse

Help Keep Tenstones Alive

I fully updated the site and I'm looking to revive this community. I've been paying for it for years and I did just drop a decent amount to bring it up to date. Click here to show your support:

Anyone donates to support this revival, I can offer an @tenstones.net Google account as thanks.
See more
See less

Evilbob's Daily Reviews: Chrono Trigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNES Evilbob's Daily Reviews: Chrono Trigger

I'm sure most of you have played this game, but if you haven't, go find an emulator and play it. Like right now. I don't care if your dog is shitting itself and your grandma is having a heart attack on your living room floor, this is more important. Chrono Trigger is an amazing and innovative RPG that could very easily be called the best of all time. Incorporating time travel and light sci-fi elements into a traditional medieval style RPG was a great move and it's a shame the sequel sucked. Yeah I said it.

So what's it all about? Well, when visiting the fair some girl you run into gets sucked into a time warp and ends up in the past. After some wacky adventures involving a frog and an evil chancellor, you end up in a desolate future filled with starving people, destroyed roads, and terrifying death robots. I imagine it's quite like present-day Mexico. You quickly find out that Lavos, an evil space alien type bug thing that kind of looks like a giant ass is behind this, coming to life in the year 1999 and destroying the world. Since you have access to a time machine, you figure what the fuck, let's go kill him. The story takes you through a wide array of areas, such as the past and the future. Yeah. Past AND future. Seriously though you get to view the world in different eras, which is really cool. Plus actions you make in the past affect things in the future, which is a great touch. The characters are all interesting, with each one having side quests to flesh them out. Overall the story is really good, with enemies becoming friends, evil queens, and Dalton and his golem friends. Dalton is the best bumbling villian in any game ever.

The graphics are some of the best on the SNES. The music is also great, some of my favorite video game music comes from Chrono Trigger. The gameplay is excellent, with an innovative battle system. Instead of random encounters, you see your enemies and you fight them where you stand. Enemy position plays a huge role in battles, since a special attack can hit an area instead of just one enemy. If your enemies are bunched together, use cyclone and wipe them all out. Another cool touch is dual and triple techs. Every character can combine specials with other characters, giving you some very powerful techniques. This also gives you a reason to regularly switch characters instead of using the same party all the time. After you beat the game, you can access the New Game+ feature. It's somewhat common now, but it was never seen before back then. This lets you start a new game with your old levels and items intact. An enemy give you trouble during your first playthrough? Rape him with a rainbow sword or triple tech. CT has 13 different endings, giving you reason to play through multiple times.

They really don't make games like this anymore. Chrono Trigger is one of those special games that sucks you into its world and keeps you hooked until you beat it 20 times. If you haven't played this game, quit reading this review and go play it. Then cut yourself, it's been out for 15 fucking years. Asshole.

10/10
    HE LISTENS TO THE FUCKING SMITHS
    HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE
    HE WEARS A TRENCHCOAT
    HE'S GOT A MUSTACHE
    HE WEARS BLACK TIGHTS
    HE WRITES POETRY
    HE WEARS BLACK LIPSTICK
    UNDER HIS MUSTACHE

HE'S GOT A ROLLERCOASTER HAIRCUT
    HE DYES IT JET BLACK
    BUT HIS HAIR IS REALLY BROWN